A number of churches in Morpeth are important from a heritage point of view as well as being active centres for worship. Many are open as part of the annual Morpeth Heritage Open Days programme:
St Andrew’s Church, Bothal (Bothal Village, NE61 6SL)
Designated a Grade I Listed Building and of exceptional architectural and historical interest. Much of the present building is 600-800 years old, but there is evidence a church from around 900AD on the site.
St George’s United Reformed Church (Bridge Street, NE61 1PD)
The “church on the (Telford) bridge” which is at the centre of an iconic view of Morpeth. The existing St. George’s building has been in use since 12 April 1860 though St. George’s as a Presbyterian ministry dates from 1693. The first service took place in a tannery loft in February 1693 and later, a chapel, still surviving as a private house, was built in 1721 in Cottingwood Lane.
Church of St James’ the Great (St James Terrace, NE61 1BP)
A Victorian, Norman-style church by Benjamin Ferrey, former apprentice to Augustus Pugin. Impressive apse murals from 1875 recently conserved, and a fine Minton tiled floor in the Chancel.
St John the Evangelist, Longhirst (NE61 3LS)
“A fine Victorian church” – the church of St. John the Evangelist built in 1876 at the expense of William Lawson Esquire of Longhirst Hall to the designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield. Chancel screen carved by the Reverend Proctor (1885-1916) and his parishioners. The Lychgate was built in 1885.
St Mary Magdalene Church, Mitford (NE61 3PZ)
St. Mary Magdalene Church, Mitford, is a 12th Century church steeped in history. There are Norman remains; the oldest church bell in the country and interesting stained glass, all in a beautiful setting overlooking the remains of Mitford Castle.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth (St Mary’s Field, NE61 2QT)
A lovely church – one of the finest and largest 14th century churches in the county – is set in an interesting churchyard which holds the graves of several famous people including the artist Joseph Crawhall and the suffragette Emily Wilding Davison. There is also a Watch House formerly used to guard against grave robbers.
St. Robert’s RC Church (Oldgate, NE61 1QF)
A glorious church of 1850 with stained glass windows by the renowned William Wailes. It is dedicated to St Robert of Newminster who founded Newminster Abbey in 1138, and an icon of the saint is incorporated into the stained glass of the Sanctuary. There is a marble memorial for those who fell in the First World War.